Friday, April 15, 2016

1, 2,3 Switch!

I love working on team building with kids.  There are so many different activities to do with them that really get them engaged and having fun.  The best part is that when they are having fun, they don't even realize that they are learning how to be a team player!
Last week I introduced our kids to the TooBeez Baton Pass.  I love using our TooBeez which you must check out if you don't know what I am talking about.  We have built with them and now we needed to do something else.  So....after doing some research, I found the Baton Pass activity.  
We first talked about leadership and what qualities a leader has.  After this I divided the kids up and gave half of them red tubes and half blue tubes and we formed a circle with the tubes alternating in colors.  Next, I told the kids that the tubes needed to be passed around the circle but they could only touch the tube with their right hand, so the lefty got put behind their back or in a pocket.  At first it was total failure.  Everyone was dropping the batons and talking at the same time.  CHAOS had erupted.  So, I decided to stop and ask them 2 questions:
What is working?
What is not working?
This seemed to help.  They came up with a plan and things slowly got better.  Unfortunately our 30 minutes came to an end rather quickly, which meant putting off our hope for success to next week.
Well, today was next week and we had some success.  Each of the 3 sections were able to get the batons passed 4 consecutive moves without dropping.  AWESOME SAUCE!!!!

The best part was some of the comments I heard:
We can do this!  We have a growth mindset!!!
Let's work as hard as the Beatles!
( I got a real chuckle out of this one!)
Focus People!

I love to have kids up and moving when we are doing activities.  Can't wait until we try out next TooBeez activity.  My suggestion is if you don't have the funds for TooBeez to get some PVC pipe and make your own batons.