Monday, February 2, 2015

School Counseling Week 2015--Day 1



Wow!  It is National School Counseling Week and this has me totally pumped!
This week I am going to share with you what I do as a school counselor.  I am also going to share a word for the day and a challenge for you.


My husband and I have a belief that we share:  If you don’t enjoy your job, then find something else!  I feel so blessed to be able to go to school each day and work with a great staff and awesome kids!  I never really know how my day is going to go---I can have the best made plans but if there is a student who is in need of my help, that day can change rather quickly.  As counselors we have different ways to “serve” our students:
Counseling Curriculum--
this is the planned out deliberate lessons that we take to our students.  I mostly do this in the classroom lessons I teach.  I L.O.V.E. this part of being a counselor because I get to see ALL the kids!
Individual Student Planning--
This is when we help students plan out their personal goals to guide them in their future.
This is exciting because you get to hear what kids dreams are and help them figure out how to get there!
Responsive Services--
This is when a student has an immediate need, possibly even a crisis situation.  I can help students individually or in small groups.

Even though it is the students who receive these services, it may be parents, school staff or community resources that work together with me to meet the needs of students.

WORD FOR THE DAY:
SERVE



CHALLENGE:
My challenge for the day is to find a way to serve others.  This can be little things like helping someone who is struggling with math or just being a friend to someone.  Find someone to serve today.  You will be amazed at the positive feeling you will receive by serving others.