Thursday, October 9, 2014

Love Who You Are!



 One of my special guests, who comes to my class twice a week to share about alcohol prevention, shared with me after class today about what she had seen on Dancing With the Stars.  I had to go find it right away because it hits right home with Bully Prevention Awareness Month.  We visited about memories we had, both of being on the receiving end of mean behavior and also of making someone be on the receiving end of our mean behavior.  Bullying sticks with us either way.  I remember crying because of kids making fun of my last name, Hellinga.  You can about imagine what kids can say when you have "Hell" in your last name.  It hurt.  I think by the time I got to high school I had figured out some basic survival skills in dealing with mean comments if I heard them because I don't remember too much from those years as far as mean behavior.  

I often wonder about how I was to other people.  I wonder how many people remember me as a good friend or remember me as someone who teased or made fun of others.  I hope it is the good friend.