Thursday, December 12, 2013

How Do You Want to be Remembered?



The students were very curious to find this bulletin board in the hallway covered with negative words.  They wondered why and I just let them wonder.   I left just the words in black and white on the board for  about a week to make sure all the grades had a chance to see them.  During Thanksgiving break, the question appeared on top of some of the words.  I took some classes down to look at the board and we talked during classroom counseling about how they would like to be remembered.  We read the book "Just Kidding" by Trudy Ludwig and I asked how the mean character in the book would be remembered by his classmates.  Then I gave each student a piece of white paper about 4"X8" and had them write a word that would describe how they want people to remember them.


Kind and positive words started to replace the negative words.  Kids really had to think out of the box because they all want to be remembered as Nice and Kind, but I told them to think of other ways they want to be remembered also.  Generous, Friendly, Respect......


Peaceful, Funny, Smart, Loving....the kind words just kept replacing the mean words....


Fair, Kindhearted, Caring, Industrious, Creative, Thankful, Hopeful, Genious, Smiley, 
Kid of Character....
Don't you just L.O.V.E. the words they came up with?
I think my favorite one was "Non-Jerk".

So, How do YOU want to be Remembered?

*This idea was something I found on Pinterest.  Although I did have to change it to fit my situation, I would like to give credit to Eric Johnson who created the whole concept with his students.  I would encourage you to read more at his blog "Your Kids" Teacher.