I'm Torn

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Stop Interrupting Me!

Friday, October 4, 2013


Stop! Interrupting Me!


(Sorry this is a bit confusing...but while I was adding the lyrics I accidentally deleted this blog post!  UGH!   So here is the blog post again....and look for the lyrics to come.)

(Click on the title to see the video)
I had so much fun with my "teacher" friends putting together another song for the kiddos at school.  It seems some classrooms are having a bit of an issue with interrupting.   So....I spent some time teaching the kindergarten kiddos about My Mouth is a Volcano by Julia Cook.  We had fun reading the book and then doing a couple of activities from the activity guide.  The fave of course is the ability bags.  I give students each a lunch size bag to take home and fill with 3 things show what they can do.  We have had some great things shared in the past years that we have done this.  A couple of favorites include a child pulling their swimsuit out of the bag to show they have the ability to swim.  Another child shared a picture of their family and told how they have the ability to be a great part of their family.  The beautiful thing about this activity is they all get the chance to talk about themselves and the rest of the kids get the chance to practice their great listening skills.  We will be sharing these this coming Monday this year and I can't wait to see what they bring.

In first grade we had Ornery Ordean from Jellybean Jamboree share how interrupting was a problem for him.  We made a list of when is it okay to interrupt someone and when is it better to wait.  I also had a couple of volunteers role play with me while I told the class something and my volunteer got to interrupt me.  That was fun showing how it gets the person off track of what they are talking about.  We also talked about how bothering the person next to you while the teacher is talking is interrupting the learning of the friend they are sitting by.  So many ways to look at interrupting.  Of course the favorite was sharing my latest video with them and having them guess who my backups were.