Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Fortune Cookies


I had a surprise call from one of my best friends yesterday and we decided to meet for dinner last night.  YUMMY---we both agreed on Chinese food!  It was great to sit and visit and catch up and share.  It always amazes me with friends who you don't see often enough how easy it is to just pick up where you left off the last time you were together!  That to me is a neat thing about friendship!
So...
after I finished my meal I opened up my fortune cookie and found the above fortune.  I wasn't sure if this was a fortune or more of an advice cookie.  It really took me back to my days when I was just a kid.  My mom would tell my siblings and myself, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  Good advice.  AND it has come in handy many times when working with students and my own kids.  When I share this "mommily" with students they usually say, "That is what my mom says too!"  (Great wisdom is learned not only from fortune cookies but also from moms!)
So I am thinking that I will add K.M.S. to my list of abbreviations to share with kids.
Some of my other favorites include:
M.Y.O.B.  
(Mind Your Own Beeswax or Mind Your Own Business)
S.Y.R. 
(Save Your Reputation---which was always signed on letters from my grandma when I was in college)
K.I.S.S.
(Keep It Simple Sweetie)
T.T.F.N.
(TaTa For Now)

What are some of your favorite abbreviations?