Sunday, March 17, 2013

Celebrating differences!

One of my favorites at school is Dakota.  I use The Adventures of Dakota in 3rd grade and my book is about worn out!  I found this treasure about 10 years ago in a Youth Light catalog and picked it out because it was in "my budget".  I divide the class into "Wolf Packs" which are the discussion groups which meet during our Dakota stories.  Half way through each story we have "Paws Time" where the groups meet to answer about 2-3 questions which we discuss and make predictions of what will happen.  After the discussion I love saying, "Are you ready to find out what Dakota does?"  Of course they wait eagerly to hear "the rest of the story".  One of the stories in the book addresses prejudice or talking about differences.  I love this story and this time I decided to do something a bit different.  I found an idea of Pinterest of using Venn Diagrams a little more creative than just a couple of ovals.  Instead of the kids meeting in their wolf packs for our activity after the story, I let them pick a partner and make a Friend Diagram of how they were different and the same as their friend.  The kids had a blast!  It was fun to hear all of their ideas from their favorite flavors of ice cream to family traditions!  Below you will see a couple of pictures I took before we hung them in the hall.




Great job kids!!!!