Thursday, January 17, 2013

Potato Chip Champ



Today I get the special honor to be a part of Maria Dismondy's Virtual Book Tour.  I guess I was "in the right place at the right time" when she asked if I would be a part of her tour because someone else had to drop out.  LUCKY ME I thought!  I couldn't wait for The Potato Chip Champ to arrive so I could read it!

It was more than I had expected!  I love so many things about this book so I am going to share my
TOP 5 GREAT THINGS ABOUT THE POTATO CHIP CHAMP.
#1.  Having "stuff" isn't what is important.  So many times I hear kids talking about their "stuff".  You know,  all the cool things they have---toys, electronics, etc.  The interesting thing is that I have seen kids who don't have much being more grateful kids.  The simple things really charge them up, like spending a recess playing a game or telling about going sledding with their family.  Good lesson for all of us as parents to be sure we are putting the importance not on things, but on relationships, family, friends and doing for others.

#2.  Empathy!  Boy oh boy does this book ever give us a great lesson on empathy!  The best part is Champ figures it out on his own---that's a bonus in my mind!

#3.  Friendship--How can Walter manage to have so many friends?  Everyone likes him.  Champ figures this one out too---even when he is trying so hard not to like him.

#4. Kindness Matters!  It really isn't hard to show kindness and it has no price tag.  This book shows how simple acts of kindness make a huge difference.

#5. "Feels good."  I read this book with my 5th grader before she went to bed.  Sometimes she likes to put down her chapter books and read a children's book.  So....when she saw it sitting on the table with my things she was curious and asked if we could read it that night.  Of course, what a great way to test out a book, on a kid!  After we read the book her comment was, "Mom, that was great!  It makes me feel good."  (And we didn't even eat her favorite chips with onion dip!)

Now for the real BONUS!!!  You can enter for a chance to win The Potato Chip Champ.  Here is what you need to do:
Stop over at Maria's blog, Be the Difference, by clicking HERE.  You will find some other reviews on the book and also find out about more great books by Maria.

a Rafflecopter giveaway