Thursday, December 13, 2012

"How's that workin' for ya?"


“Don't let your struggle become your identity.”   Ralston Bowles (born 1952);  American musician.

I love quotes!  I seem to get encouragement from them.  I get a daily quote from values.com.  The really cool weird thing is that just about every day when I read them they seem to be written just for me!  Is that cool or what?!

The other cool thing is how to use them with my students at school.  Here are some ideas:
1.)  Print quotes on separate pieces of paper.  Have students draw them out of a basket and draw a picture with the quote and what it means to them.
2.)  Have students act out a real life situation that shows what the quote means.
3.)  Using the computer, have students design a poster using the quote.  They can add pictures of themselves to the poster to personalize it.
4.)  Have students make book marks with the quotes on them and donate them to the library to hand out to people when they check out books.
5.)  Encourage students to write their own quote!  Be sure to sign their name to take credit for their quote.

Today I am having to take an emergency leave day from school because I have 2 sick kids!  Seems the flu bug found its way to our house.  So, I'm going to seize the moment to get a few things done in between "nursing" my sick kids back to health.  Be sure to go to Values.com and sign up for the quote of the day.  And while you on their check out their videos and other great "stuff".

So today I am going to leave you with a quote I use quite a bit.  I didn't even realize it was a quote I used until someone pointed it out and said they used it too sometimes because they picked it up from me.  "How's that workin' for ya?"  I like to ask kids that when they are in my office because of choices they are making that maybe aren't so good.  I use it with my family at home too.  Funny thing is they can hear it coming before the words come out of my mouth.

What is your quote?  If you don't have one, find a good one that spreads encouragement to others....then PASS IT ON!